Posted by Navraj Nandra on January 30th, 2013
I am thrilled to share that this morning we announced our Enterprise 10G SerDes IP in leading 28-nm process nodes to address the connectivity needs of a broad range of networking and computing applications. This announcement has been welcomed by our customer base that has been asking for an IP vendor to provide 8G/10G SerDes solution. So how is this different from the other PCIe 3.0 and 10G Ethernet solutions on the market? Let me summarize in the following 7 key points:
- Practicing Perfectionism: Enterprise 10G SerDes is a multi-protocol, multi-rate solution that spans from 1.25Gbps to 10.3Gbps and supports key protocols including PCIe 3.0, 10GBASE-KR, OIF CEI-6G-SR, SGMII and QSGMII. The architecture is built on our 10+ years of SerDes leadership and leverages Synopsys’ strong 28-nm experience (100+ design wins) to provide a stable, high-quality solution with very competitive area, power and performance specifications. Special attention is paid to manufacturability, yield, and other complex issues like ESD at 8G/10G data rates.
- Energy Efficiency: Our years of leadership in various consumer applications has been leveraged to reduce both active and leakage power to facilitate green enterprise technologies. We also support advanced PCIe power down modes and IEEE’s Energy-Efficient Ethernet (EEE) standard to future-proof our offering for years to come.
- Engagement Model: Complex high-speed SerDes IP inherently comes with intricate integration challenges that include signal integrity modeling and package design. We have been able to overcome these challenges through close collaboration with our lead customers, helping them successfully integrate the high-speed SerDes into their high-density ASICs for extremely high data throughput without compromising key power, area or speed goals.
- Complete Solution: This message has been re-iterated many times before, but never has it been so important. The Enterprise 10G SerDes is part of Synopsys’ complete PCIe 3.0 and 10G Ethernet solutions, each of which include a PCS, controller and verification IP. This is especially important given the delays and vagueness around the PCIe PIPE 3.0 specification. In fact, Synopsys was the first and is perhaps the ONLY company with a complete PCIe 3.0 solution that achieved PCIe FYI compliance.
- Focused Protocols: Consistent with our ideology, we continue to support a limited number of the most popular protocols with 100% commitment to the highest quality and lowest risk. As Bill Cosby said, “I don’t know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.”
- Support for High-End Consumer Applications: The SerDes is architected to support high-end consumer battery-powered applications, including support for L1 sub-states and wirebond packages.
- Commitment: Synopsys is committed to the Enterprise SerDes product line with a well-defined roadmap to scale data rates from 10G to 12.5G to 16G to 28G in leading FinFET technologies. We are engaged in advanced discussions with prominent enterprise players to address their ongoing concerns, including:
- The last mile
- Insatiable demand for bandwidth
- Peak hour demand
- Flooded networks
- Guarantee of service
- Explosion of Internet bandwidth